Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sew Sew lesson

One of the details I adore in The Rag Coat is the little rag doll that Minna makes.  This morning, we did an art lesson and instead of going with the suggestions in the FIAR we made a little puppet.  Hobby Lobby has these wonderful felt hand puppet kits, it comes with everything you need to make it except glue.  And it's wonderful for little beginning hand sewers because the holes are pre-punched.  Before reading the story, I told Hannah what we were going to do for the lesson and she pointed out the little doll in the illustration when reading about it.  She says she wants one just like it.  I'm proud of her ability to sew, she comes from a long line of seamstresses, so it's probably natural. 
It is wonderful to think about how much culture has changed with the invention of the sewing machine.  And amazingly how it is now more expensive to make your own clothes than to buy them out of a store.  With fewer and fewer women sewing their entire wardrobes, the cost of cloth has continued to go up.  I think it is still worth while, because the clothes that I have purchased are never as rewarding as the ones that I make for myself.
I may introduce to Hannah later today the verse about clothing the naked and help us remember that we are blessed to have so many outfits to choose from each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment